‘Tis the season for holiday cheer, and a few rounds of eggnog while gathered with family and friends. And what better welcome and entertaining focal point for you and your guests to enjoy than the warm glow of your fireplace. But you don’t have to stop there. Oh ho ho ho, no! Along with that decorated tree or what have you in the corner, you may want to think about sprucing up your fireplace mantle as a way to really relish in the season’s festivities. In this post we’re going to take a look at some easy do-it-yourself merry mantle ideas, while keeping in mind fire safety.
DESIGN BASICS & SAFETY
Before your shopping or your household rummaging begins, there are a few basic design elements to keep in mind when decorating your fireplace mantle. This will ensure your creation that others will have heard on high. So, what are some things you should know to choose the best, most appropriate decorations for your masterpiece? Let’s take a look!
- Balance: as a focal point, ensure you have a good mix of large and smaller decore items in order to create balance
- Mantle Size: make sure to choose festive items based on the proportions of your mantle.
- Room Ambiance: to ensure flow and harmony within the room, look at extending the room’s existing theme—this also means staying in the same colour family
- Number of Items: restrict the number of decorations to work with. This will ensure your mantle doesn’t have a cluttered or mish-mashed look
- Flammability: make sure to choose holiday décor that is fire safe (books, kerosene oil lamps, fabrics, even certain flowers and plants may not be well-suited to atop a heated fireplace)
- Remember, depending on the type of fireplace you own, gas or wood, there will be a set of rules and protocols as to what items may or may not be appropriate to place on the mantle. Consult with the manufacturer’s guide to ensure proper safety and awareness of ignition free decorating ‘safe zones’.
FESTIVE MANTLE IDEAS
So now that you’ve got the basic understanding of how to decorate your mantle, let’s take a look at what you’ll need in order to create your own festive, fun, and elegant fireplace mantle!
Simple & Refined
Materials: garland, stockings, letters, hooks
Sophisticated & Natural
Materials: cedar garland, pinecones, wire, branches, reindeer moss, white and green flowers, terracotta containers, scented candles or cinnamon sticks, oranges and limes
Personal & Colorful
Materials: evergreen garland, carnations, julep cups, holiday cards
Vintage & Whimsical
Materials: faux snow, coloured or clear mason jars, glass ornaments, antique decorations, sparkling snowflakes, holiday greeting garland
OTHER MANTLE DECORATING IDEAS
Turn your mantle into an advent calendar countdown to Christmas
Turn surplus ornaments into a holiday display by using various vases and bowls
Repurpose an old window as a Christmas mantle masterpiece.
Candy jar mantle
Fill clear glass containers with candy that coordinates with your color scheme. Let the Holiday snacking begin!
What a great way to surprise your family with the news of a booked holiday vacation!
So there you have it. Some great fireplace mantle ideas to get you in the holiday spirit! Remember, with a little creativity you can create a festive focal point masterpiece.