It’s the right time for some furnace maintenance.
Spring is in the air and spring cleaning comes to mind as we prepare to enjoy our summers. While in spring cleaning mode, don’t forget about your furnace and air conditioner. Some simple maintenance could pay off handsomely in comfort and energy dollars saved, plus it will prolong the life of your furnace and air conditioner.
The furnace worked hard to keep you warm this winter and it probably needs a good cleaning and servicing prior to laying it to rest. Change your filters and have your ducts cleaned. It’s a good idea to schedule a tune-up by a professional to ensure peak performance next winter.
If you have an air conditioner hooked up to your furnace, now is the best time to service that as well. Is it ready for another season of trouble free service? Why wait till the hot temperatures hit, like everyone else, to call for service.
Air conditioner maintenance is best in the spring.
If you want to take on some the tasks yourself follow the manufacturer’s guidelines in the owner’s manual for maintenance instructions and set aside a few hours, otherwise call in a professional.
At Nordic Energy, we service all makes and models of furnaces and air conditioners. If your unit is getting tired and is in need of replacing, there is a perfect fit in our selection of Bryant furnaces and air conditioners to choose from.
Be an early bird for convenient scheduling and avoid the mad seasonal rushes. Call us today to schedule your furnace and or air conditioning service.
With electricity rates continually rising, you may want to consider ways to conserve some energy and save on your cooling bills. So here are a few tips you may want to consider:
- Upgrade to a high-efficiency air conditioner. Replacing a 10 year old air conditioner with a new Energy Star model can cut cooling costs by 30-50% and save you enough over the lifetime of the new unit to offset the whole purchase price. Just make sure it’s sized right for your home.
- Get annual maintenance from a licensed technician to ensure your system is operating at peak efficiency and to avert costly breakdowns. Maintenance is much, much more affordable than repairs.
- Change or clean your air conditioner air filters at least every month to keep the system running at peak performance. A dirty filter makes your air conditioner work harder, costing about 7% more energy, and leads to many breakdowns due to overworking.
- Set the temperature above 24 degrees Celsius, as every degree below this will add an extra 3-5% to your energy bill.
- Install a programmable thermostat to automatically adjust temperatures while you’re away from the house.
- Install ceiling fans or portable fans to create a gentle breeze. This allows you to raise the thermostat a few degrees with no reduction in comfort. Remember to turn off the fans when you leave the room, as fans cool people, not rooms.
- Ensure your supply and return air vents are unobstructed by furniture, blinds, carpets or other objects that could block the airflow. Vacuum the registers regularly – dust buildup, or cat or dog hair, can obstruct the airflow easily.
- Reduce solar gain from windows by closing the drapes or blinds, or installing window films on the sunny side of the house, and keep doors and windows closed during the day.
- Create shade by planting leafy trees on the sunny side of your home. Shading your air conditioner can also boost efficiency by about 10%.
- Set the air conditioner fan speed to high. except on very humid days. On the humid days, set the speed low. The slower air movement through the air conditioner removes more moisture from the air, making your home more comfortable.
- Seal cracks and openings to prevent warm air leaking into your home (or conditioned air leaking out).
- Install efficient lighting that runs cooler. LED and CFL bulbs give off very little heat. 90% of the electricity used by an incandescent bulb is converted to hear rather than light. That extra heat means extra cooling expenses.
- On hot days, avoid using the oven. Cook on the stove, use the microwave, grill outside or eat something that doesn’t require any cooking. There are plenty of delicious, fast and easy veggie salads out there that fill you up as much as any other meal.
- Use kitchen and bathroom fans to remove heat and moisture at the source after cooking and showering, not always in that order.
To schedule an annual maintenance or site visit to assess your system, give us a call. We carry a full range of Bryant furnaces and air conditioners, in addition to our quality fireplaces, stoves, saunas and grills.
We do whatever it takes to make your home or cottage more comfortable.