Anyone who has trudged through a bitter Ontario winter can appreciate the comfort, warmth and convenience of a gas fireplace. It’s not only an efficient and economical way to stay warm, a gas fireplace requires far less attention and effort than a wood burning fireplace.
Even so, it’s still important to schedule annual cleaning and maintenance service to keep your investment in good shape. Neglected gas fireplaces can develop a handful of dangerous – and ultimately expensive – problems. If you don’t service your gas fireplace regularly, you might have trouble with…
DUST, DIRT AND DEAD BUGS
Dust, dirt and dead insects (yuck) build up in just about every open space in your fireplace, causing it to burn inefficiently with reduced airflow. There are many components that get inspected for condition including wiring, logs, gas piping, gaskets, burners, etc.
A gas fireplace that produces soot needs immediate attention. Unlike wood-burning fireplaces, black soot should never build up in a healthy gas appliance. If soot becomes visible adjustments and cleaning will be necessary
WEAR AND TEAR
Every piece of technology with moving parts in your home needs regular maintenance to operate as it’s designed to. Your gas fireplace is no different. Parts wear out, especially when the work environment goes from cold or room temperature to very hot in a short space of time, over and over.
Valves and gas connections can develop leaks, the thermocouple and thermopile need regular cleaning and inspection and the ceramic logs need cleaning and proper placement. Neglected gas fireplaces are common sources of house fires across Ontario in the winter.
Birds, bats, squirrels other creatures choose chimneys for nesting or protection from the elements. Nests, especially those built by squirrels, can block a chimney flue, causing serious venting problems.
New gas fireplace models run so efficiently that they extract more of the heat that was once expelled through the chimney and deliver it to your living space. While no one wants to waste heat, the chimney needs warm air to provide the draft that removes gases and moisture from the flue. If the flue temperature becomes too low, the water and gases become corrosive, which can cause the liner, mortar and even the brickwork to crumble and flake.
As a homeowner, you naturally want to ensure safe and efficient use of your fireplace as well as maximizing its service life – but you may not have the time or aptitude for doing it yourself. That’s where our team of certified, insured technicians come in.
We can make sure your gas fireplace is clean, safe and equipped to deliver efficient heat to your family for years to come.